This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

"Unable to install becuase app w/same identity already installed"

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM
Hi, this app has been working wonderfully for me. Then notifications suddenly stopped. I uninstalled the app but when I go to reinstall, i get message that it can't because an app with the same identity is already installed. It says I must "either modify the manifest version for this application or uninstall the preeexisting application."

Thoughts on this? The app no longer appears in my program list so I can't remove it. I tried to manually delete files associated with the app but windows won't let me delete some of them.
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM
Sep 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM
Thanks for responding, but I can't find the mage.exe file on my system in order to try this. Any tips for locating it? (Appreciate the help, btw!)
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM
Not sure about that, apparently it's installed when you setup Visual Studio in your machine, but it seems it's also included in the Visual Studio SDK.
You can try to install VS or download the latter SDK here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40758 and see if it's included.

There may be sites out there that also offer the download of the single executable mage.exe, but I'd be careful with those... ;-)
Sep 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Thanks, maybe I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm not a coder - just a guy who wants to get email notifications to work again in outlook :-)

I'm fairly computer-savvy and even build machines, but this is just getting over my head. I big thank you though for your efforts in helping me troubleshoot.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM
You don't need to do anything special, just download the SDK and install it in your box, it will create a whole set of files and you just need to use mage.exe.

It will be located in a folder such as for example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools

After you're done simply uninstall the SDK.

I'd copy the EXE to the cloud myself somewhere, but I'm unaware of the redistributable license for this type of things (i.e.: if someone's allowed to just distribute some files per se).

HTH.