This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Addon always disabled when I start outlook

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Every time I start Outlook the add on is disabled and I have to go to options to re-enabled it. Is there something I can do to find out why it is getting disabled?
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Hm, I don't know, it seems to be working for most of people so what do you have differently? :-)
What OS and Office versions do you have?

At shutdown time, the plugin persists some information in the Windows registry, as well as user settings (with the configuration) so maybe that's where it's blowing up.
Can you check the Windows logs (Event Viewer) after you open/close Outlook and see if something is blowing up?
Jul 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, Office 2013 Pro.

There is 1 windows application event when outlook starts that list all the addons started. Your is not part of that start-up list. One thing I notice when I activate the addon and returned to the addons screen is the file location:

All of the other addon locations are C:... your is file:///C:... I wonder if that is significant?

I am going to try removing and re-installing.
Jul 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I removed, uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed and it seems it is working correctly now. I notice that the configuration dialog is different and that the events are now showing up differently. I am suspecting I had an older version.

Thanks.
Jul 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Hi,
I have the same issue.
It's always disabled. When I go to Optons --> COM-Addins --> Go to --> and activate it, I can see it flickering twice and then it's gone again.
Re-installing didn't help in my case.

Any other ideas?
Do you have a log where we may start searching for the reason?

Greetings
Harry
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Ok, what seems to be happening is that the addon took too long to initialize and outlook disabled it. This time however I got a prompt about the start-up time and gave me an option to enable it always anyway.
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I have just installed this add-on. It seemed to be just what I was looking for, but I have exactly the same problemn as binkle: It's there (unticked) in the COM-Addins list but when I tick it and close the list it flickers at the side and then vanishes. A check of the COM-addins list shows it unticked again.
Aug 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Seems what is happening is that the add on takes too long to initialize and outlook disables it. Perhaps some of the work being done on start-up could be delayed until after Outlook has started, or put on a spawned thread.

Paul.
Aug 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I think you have missed the point, or mis-read my description. What I described happens AFTER Outlook is already loaded and running. You can't see the add-on in the COM Addins list unless Outlook is running. The "flicker" I described occurs IMMEDIATELY after I have ticked the box and closed the list.
Aug 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
I'm seeing the exact same problem as "iannominate" mentions above on 8/9 using the latest... From the "Developer" Tab I can select "COM Add-Ins" and see "Outlook2013TodoAddIn" is unchecked ...when check that box and click OK the ToDo addin slides open on the right then closes then opens a second time and closes.

The Application event viewer shows that upon install it initially loaded correctly below ...but after restarting Outlook this Addin is not listed because something is disabling it on initialization; could be although not found in the log "Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to start slowly."?
Outlook loaded the following add-in(s):
Name: Outlook2013TodoAddIn
Description: Outlook2013TodoAddIn
ProgID: Outlook2013TodoAddIn
GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Load Behavior: 3
HKLM: 0
Location: file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/Office15/ADDINS/Outlook 2013 Todo Add-in/Outlook2013TodoAddIn.vsto
Boot Time (Milliseconds): 281